HB 792- House Amended FY 2020 Budget
March 5, 2020
HB 792 is the House bill for the amended fiscal year 2020 state budget. Here are some highlights that reflect the House’s support for a fully-functioning criminal justice system, educated students, and healthcare access:
- We voted to add $800k to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation to hire more scientists and lab technicians to address the current backlog of evidence and process criminal evidence in a timely manner.
- For the Georgia Department of Agriculture, we voted to provide $280k for food safety and animal industry inspectors to keep Georgia up to speed with growing number of grocery stores.
- The budget fully funds the K12 education formula for Georgia’s Department of Education’s 1.7 million students. We added $1.5 million for special schools for our hearing and visually impaired students.
- We added $1.8 million to improve and maintain our state parks for the 11 million annual visitors and 775 employees.
- We restored $2.6 million in public health grants for counties across Georgia. This will be immensely helpful in keeping Georgians healthy, especially for the 8 counties with no physicians.
This budget reflects the hard work of the House Appropriations Committee, House Budget & Research Office, and all other Members of the House working to develop a healthy, safe, and educated Georgia.